SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Re: Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard

I have a friend who is 6'4" or more and had no trouble sleeping a couple nights in a row in either the vee-berth or the dinette double berth on my C27, in the winter no less with gear strewn about. For standing headroom, he found plenty on deck.

That said, I'm not crazy about the dinette layout C27 (as I have mentioned to others asking about this boat). It's quite cramped with the table up and useless for anything except a berth with the table down. If the Cal 28 has a facing settee layout, I would definitely go for that. On the other hand, there's plenty of space below the forward dinette seating on the C27 for a holding tank.

As Faster mentioned, if you can fully enclose the cockpit with the dodger and bimini on the Cal 28, that is nothing to be scoffed at. Those additions are pretty pricey as well.

The electronics and gadgetry should not enter into the decision. The motor is something to consider; 8 hp is probably the minimum you want for a 28-footer around here, whereas the 15hp on the C27 is more than enough (I am happy with the 9.9 hp on mine).