SailNet Community - View Single Post - Info for our dream honeymoon sailboat charter
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Info for our dream honeymoon sailboat charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheff_tazz View Post
HI ALL!
My soon to be wife and I are planning a approx 3 month honey moon sailboat charter.We are interested in starting in the caribbean.....either Aruba,Curacao,Trinidad,St vincent and the Grenadines or Grenada.Then we would like to sail through the Panama canal and make our way to the Galapagos islands.After touring the Galapagos we would like to make our way back to the coast and sail up into and around the sea of Cortez.From there we would sail up along the coast to Vancouver our final destination.We are looking for a 54 to 60 foot sailboat with captain that knows these areas well.......Can anyone out ther please give me some options.....I am looking for charter companies or private boat owners who have experience and who can hadle this kind of adveture.

Thanx in advance for any help!
I am probably the least expert to answer you, but let me make some comments you may want to consider.

First of all, the size of the boat will restrict what is available. If you were to look at a 40-50 footer, you are much more likely to find someone who may be able to help.

Second of all, don't even start to think that you will be going from point A to point B. To get from the Galapagos to Vancouver you may well need to head west to the Marquesas and then north to Hawaii first. Going south of the coast from Vancouver to Mexico and beyond is doable, heading north you pretty well will need to go to Hawaii and turn back. Why? Prevailing winds and ocean currents.

Get a good resource for sailing routes such as Jimmy Cornell's book "World Cruising Routes". He gives excellent overall guidelines to commonly traversed routes (including the one's you have mentioned). Covers details like ocean currents, best time to go, when to avoid little nuisances like Southern Cyclone season, etc. The time of year will make a big difference as to what is doable.

Be prepared for a variable amount of time to be able to transverse the Panama Canal. Currently it is a week to 10 days from reports, but it has also taken 6 weeks or longer to get a slot. Be flexible. Your 3 months may not work, but I will let those with much more knowledge then myself comment on that.

So, you can't be on a schedule, you need to be flexible on timing, and understand very few sailors are actually going from the southern Caribbean to Vancouver. Your journey will be tough on equipment, and anyone who will be undertaking that will have to take that into consideration when pricing.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook