SailNet Community - View Single Post - Baba 35 vs Tayana 37 vs Hans Christian 38
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Re: Baba 35 vs Tayana 37 vs Hans Christian 38

Those prices seem aggressive to me. Stateside they seem cheaper.

I like that class of boat . I Own a Union Polaris 36 and still like it, now 20 years on.

I'd like to have looked at the Hans Christian details, but there is no way I will log on to a foreign website just to see it.

I would avoid a ship with a pilot house like that though. I would be wary of it tolerating a big wave impact.

They are not slow ships if the wind is blowing. In light airs they are not fast, but if the wind is right there is nothing slow about them.

Be wary of teak decks though. They leak. I have been living with deck leaks for 20 years. Also check the tanks too. Tiawanese ships had a dreadful reputation for poor tankage and i speak from bitter personal experience.

What about welding stainless steel tanks with steel welding rods? Sound silly to you? Not in Tioawan. It would have been unreal to me, until I saw it with my own eyes on my own ship. A catastrophic error and unbelievably difficult to recover from that one.

Be careful. Fill the tanks to the brim and watch the bilge for days until you are sure they are not leaking. If they leak at all, run!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook