SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard

I'm speaking as a liveaboard here - do you want to live and sail on this boat? It's hard to do both, but it can be done. The smaller the boat, the harder it is to do both, too. You'll have to be extremely disciplined in what possessions you allow aboard, otherwise she'll become a potted plant sitting next to a dock -- nothing wrong with that if that's your plan, mind you. However, if you are looking for more of the lakeside cottage thing, you can expand your search. Get the biggest thing you can afford that doesn't leak either from the top or the bottom. On the other hand, if you want to sail, I'd also recommend the biggest thing you can get, but then you'll also want to consider such esoteric things as seaworthiness and sailing qualities.

Both boats you're talking about are absolutely on the small end for liveaboard - for one person, let alone two. If this is a 6-month thing, it might be OK, but if you're talking longer-term, you really need something bigger. I do know folks who liveaboard on 27' boats, but they quickly start to resemble vagrants. Remember: there's a fine line between living aboard and in a 'van down by the river.' There are also lots of wonderful things about living aboard at a marina, not the least of which is a sense of community that just doesn't exist elsewhere in American society at this date.

Last edited by sneuman; 04-27-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook