SailNet Community - View Single Post - Info for our dream honeymoon sailboat charter
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
Re: Info for our dream honeymoon sailboat charter

You are certainly dreaming big. Maybe too big. The trip from from Panama on is going to involve some long sea legs. You don't mention if you have sailing experience/skills, but in any case a crewed yacht undertaking that sort of voyage is going to require enough crew to stand watches, which probably means three, which probably means adding a cook. So that is 4 people in addition to yourselves on board. The personalities could get interesting. Plus there will be the mind set of pushing to get to your next destination, which may make for some stressful sailing. A wise head has posted that the most dangerous instrument on a sailboat is the calendar.
There are precious few souls who have extensive knowledge of all the areas you are considering.
Most crewed yachts will have two crew on board, a skipper and a cook. Both are important for the kind of cruise you are considering.
If I were in your shoes, I would find a crewed yacht in the Caribbean, and plan each day as it comes. Have an open return airplane ticket. There is enough to do and see to fill three months in the Caribbean, Central America, etc.
Buy some cruising guides and read them now. It would be a shame to get someplace one day after carnival finishes, or a month after the whale sharks leave.
Consider catamarans also. There is real value in you and your bride having one hull all to yourselves, while the crew is sleeping in the other hull.
Others on this forum disagree with me, but I strongly suggest investigating charter agents. Read a couple of sailing magazines, and call a couple of the agents. Work with one who you like.
If you are really set on visiting all the areas, consider chartering a couple of different boats, and flying between the areas. Again a charter agent would be helpful in working out the logistics.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook