SailNet Community - View Single Post - plotting software
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012

Tonyhibbett is on a distinguished road
plotting software

We have a Simrad plotter which, in my opinion, is counter intuitive and since the installation of a 'german' mainsail control system, it is hard to access and peering over the mainsheet controlling crewmember with the risk of getting one's head cut off by the mainsheet in an unplanned gybe is not ideal.
I have a 'surplus to requirements' laptop and we have a usb to nmea interface at the chart table, thanks to our visionary skipper. It is now conceivable for the navigator (me) to sit at the chart table and plot waypoints and a course which can be sent to the plotter, the laptop being temporarily secured with a g clamp, dispensing with the conventional paper chart.
I downloaded a demo version of PC Plotter which convenenantly provides the Solent chart, our play area, which is very good but a bit expensive, but provides tidal and wind data along with connectivity to the plotter, radar and the position of other vessels. download and integration of weather reports, plus a log and alarms. Quite happy to fork out for it, but does anyone have suggestions for a cheaper solution?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook