SailNet Community - View Single Post - Info. for Guests Aboard
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: Info. for Guests Aboard

I tell people to bring a hat, sunglasses, chapstick, maybe a light jacket or sweater, and an appetizer - we have everything else on the boat. I also encourage them to wear deck shoes and not flip flops because you will stub your toe.

Our marina is about 25 miles from our house and we generally tell people to ride out with us. That gives us some time to brief them on everything – our sailing 101 lesson is: watch out for the boom, you can’t sail directly into the wind, and the sails have to be on the opposite side of the boat than the wind. I also assure them the boat won’t tip (though I still have a dose of healthy skepticism despite what everyone says) because of the keel and ton of lead down in it.

Once on the boat, I stress the importance of the head and how unfun a clogged one is. If it didn’t come out of your body, it should go in the head – TP aside. Show them the fire extinguisher and life jackets. Give them a drink while we’re leaving the dock – easier to have the sitting when casting off lines and avoiding pilings. On the way out of the harbor, I tell them the MOB basics.

If they’re interested in learning to sail, I’ll explain to them what I’m doing and why. If not, I let them enjoy the ride.

Also throw in there that the boat is old, things break, and when they do, I get grumpy and they should ignore me. Ha.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook