SailNet Community - View Single Post - Future of Sailing?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Future of Sailing?

Thought some of the members might find this interesting:

The New Lagoon 420 is only available with electric drives.

Basically, they have done away with diesel main drive engines and shifted to only having one large generator and electric drives. The Genny runs everything. Two large battery banks apparently provide enough power for even air conditioning, and the generator kicks on when the batts reach 50 or 70% (I think it is). When you are sailing, the props turn and basically act as water generators to recharge batteries.

My first thought was: A Toyota Prius... albeit a very expensive Prius! Still, gotta make you wonder if this is the future?????? Why not? They are dead quiet running and apparently a lot less maintenance than a diesel main.

Now, of course being a traditional sailor (somewhat), I always balk at the newest and latest and greatest... but how cool is that? What if you supplemented with a really large array of wind and solar? Increased your batt banks? Why not convert everything into that?

I heard Catalina and Hinkley have been playing around with the technology. Not sure they have perfected it yet.

Still, why is this not the future of sailing?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook