SailNet Community - View Single Post - Asymmetric and pulpit
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Asymmetric and pulpit

I am looking at the feasibility of using an asymmetric with either a snuffer or furler. Singlehanded and not that agile I suspect that the symmetric and snuffer may be a bit of a pain except for longer legs.
What I want to know is the angle the tack pendant runs at roughly.
My pulpit extends about 6" beyond and is 2 feet above the only feasible position attached to the anchor roller cheeks for the tack attachment with a small furler. Without the furler I could go back another 9 ".
The pulpit is closed and I would prefer the tack line not to put any great force on it as I doubt it would take it. I guess I could redo the pulpit to be open.
I don't want to put on a small retracting pod as apart from the cost the geometry would involve cutting into the bulwark and it seems overkill.
So should the line from sheave to tack be straight? Should the tack pendant run inside or outside the pulpit?
The other idea is to use a block as on a sheet to change the angle so that the tack runs up then forward akin to using a tacker in the same way but with a block so that the tack is adjustable.
The only boat I have had one on, and that was 30 years ago, didn't have a pulpit, and sail could be worked on from the front hatch, so I would appreciate some comment from those with practical experience in a similar situation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook