SailNet Community - View Single Post - Key West to Bimini (Direct)?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: Key West to Bimini (Direct)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
I would advise checking the pilot charts for July. The easterlies may have set in and it will be a long haul up wind from the Dry Tortugas east.
This is true most of the year. Predominate wind is always from the east unless a front is passing through. July is a hot month and not much wind here. Having just did the KW to Miami last month and will again next week, it is a motor sail from KW to just past Marathon due to the wind direction. We rode the GS all the way and it was great sail. I would ride the GS about the 1000'-15000' drop off line until about 30 NM south of Bimini and than start cutting across the GS to head for South Bimini island. The route that you show you "WILL" motor sail the entire route. If fuel is a problem for you I would go to Marathon from KW to fill up the tanks than cross over. Get into the GS outside of KW at the 400' drop off and ride it up to Marathon. Don't forget to put a fishing line out with a pink and green skirt bubble lure to catch Maui Maui for dinner that night.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 04-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook