SailNet Community - View Single Post - Isolated battery's forward for specific tasks...
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Isolated battery's forward for specific tasks...

Does anyone use "dedicated "batterys" in isolated areas...that are independent from the main charging banks...For example.. I want to do a conversion of my vee-berth from two bunks that are old-fashined hi-lo into a normal vee-shaped wide bed...this allows my salon dinette to be a dedicated salon dinette for eating/sitting/enetertaining which is what I want...BUT...my vee berth as my primary sleeping area will not have good ventilation as there is no hatch or dorade boxes up that way...so I might install one or two 12v fans up there. I hate to run a circuit all the way from the batteries in the stern quarterberth areas though...I'd rather maybe have a deep cycle 12-v batt sitting up in the bow or vee-berth area down low somewhere that is charging off a solar panel above to run the fans...and occasionally an anchor winch ..It would not be connected to the main house batteries ...or could be but only if I flicked a gate switch.

Not as simple a system but I'm thinking if I integrated it normally the wire from the house batt up to the fans would have to be thick and long and the voltage drop would be fairly large since its a forty-foot boat...not good.
This "isolated, dedicated, vee-berth battery might also be serve a dual-purpose to run an anchor winch as mentioned (though would have to be full charge when doing so and so maybe I could just remove it from mount and drag it back to be charged by onboard generator and 50 amp charger)...so it would serve two tasks one...low amp draw..one high amp draw for winch...shorter localized run would help the high-amp winch amp draw when employed...rest of time...it need only serve a low-amp draw to the 1-2 12v fans I'd be using every night (florida summer)...

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-28-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook