SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Chainplates on the Water
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing Chainplates on the Water

Why not just measure the length, width, bolt spacing and size of the simple pieces. Then you'll have them right there to swap out without doing a lot of jury rigging. If your bow piece is bent around, beveled and inset like mine, it will definitely need to be taken off for someone to duplicate. If your mast-top piece is a welded s.s. X, it too should be checked for crevice corrosion. Replacing one end does not help if the other end is corroded. When I did this, I replaced everything, moved the shrouds outboard. I made some s.s. plates w/ 1/4" X 2" slots that slide right over the chainplates and screw into the toe rail to lock the shrouds from working. The main thing to check is that there is no movement in the shroud chainplates as the mast works. Even a little movement over time will result in cracking. Moving the shrouds outboard is great but the main problem is in making sure they do not work. Be ready to struggle getting the old ones off if, like mine, they are bedded with 5200.

Last edited by smurphny; 04-29-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook