SailNet Community - View Single Post - Respect in Posting
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Respect in Posting

okley dokly .... hmm is that how you spell okley dokly ? ... but I digress ...

Problem with a lot of this type of brouhaha is too many of us fail to observe the distinction twixt on and off topic. As an example of that and to use Jones' word "tardfest", it would quite frankly probably pass by without comment in Off Topic but it is inappropriate in the sailing forums. If we tried to keep this in mind we really would avoid upsetting other's sensibilities.

It's not just a matter of the words themselves, rather it is that those who don't venture into the sewer do so for very good reasons and part of those reasons is to avoid the intemperate language that is part and parcel of our little corner of hell.

I must confess that I do find it amusing the manner in which a genuine complaint by someone like Chef turns into a "you talking to me" moment. Crikey even I had a think at the "smug hyperposter" remark but the first person who came to mind was in fact someone no longer with us on the forum. What I am getting at there is what some of us find entertaining others find cheap and tawdry, where some see a fine instructor others see a pompous blowhard.

It is the way of the world but as far as SailNet is concerned please, try and keep the distinction twixt the bowels of hell and the realms of enlightenment somewhat less blurred. Hell, even I sometimes find myself frustrated at having to self censor when the way I might express myself in my own world would undoubtedly be construed as vulgar here. The pluses for me however outweigh the minuses when it comes to SailNet and when I feel the need to let of a bit of steam, if that is my want, then its off to the sewer for me.

Cheers all

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 04-29-2012 at 08:39 PM.