SailNet Community - View Single Post - swing keel problem
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012

windyway is on a distinguished road
Re: swing keel problem

I would not cut the swing keel with a jig saw. You need to get the boat off the trailer for this work or put it in the water & with scuba gear take the swing keel off. (I did the former) The steel side plate is removed to reveal a pin with a theaded hole in it. Attach a bolt to this to get a grip on the pin & pull it out. The swing keel will drop down to give you access to the cable attach point that you can disconnect. The swing keel is fiberglass exterior with foam interior but 50lbs of lead shot epoxied into the lower portion of the keel itself to keep it down in the water when extended. I bought some shotgun shot & mixed it with a slurry of epoxy to repair the missing portions on the bottom of mine. Make sure you don't make the keel longer than the slot it fits into! LOL If you PM me your email address I can send you pictures of my repair.

Your boat seems to be just hanging on to the trailer. It is suppose to be supported by the keel (90%) & yours seems off a bit... better fix that soon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook