SailNet Community - View Single Post - Respect in Posting
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Respect in Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Noble sentiment but it aint gonna happen.

If you're gonna post on an Internet forum, you're gonna have to deal with the Internet bullies. They're on every forum out there, not just SN. This posting etiquette issue is just a fact of participation in the medium.

These folks would never, ever say these things to your face. They know they'd get thumped, and do not have the strength of character to "man up".

When I read the posts of an Internet Bully, I just laugh inside. I envision a pathetic, fat, balding, middle aged guy who drives a mini-van, has a horribly controlling wife, makes no decisions, is always told what to do and how to do it, even his kids walk all over him, and out in public would never ever, under any circumstances, confront another man. In fact, he'd run away, quietly suffering the indignation of cowardice....until he gets home and can talk the smack on the forums.

Funny thing is, these folks actually believe they're anonymous. I don't care how many redirectors or "anonymizers" you use....TCP/IP packets must arrive and depart your location...and every packet can be opened, read and traced. Period. Another thing the IB's fail to grasp is that these forums are owned by large corporations...with deep pockets....and a legal staff ready to go after them.

I've seen this action happen. One guy was a serious troll. He'd post smack, get banned, and come back on a new account. He also had several sock puppets, who would always "agree" with his posts...that in and of itself is rather frightening...anyway, mods got sick of it and involved the server admins who identified the guy, and they turned the legal team on him. Problem went away and the forum admins were very vocal about identifying the guy and posting the legal proceedings (no details, just case #).

On another forum, one of the mods posted an IB's identity and physical address. Another poster posted a Google Maps link with a picture of his house. The IB started making threats of deadly force against anyone who came to his house....police got involved....attorneys got involved...then all posts vanished (from public view) and the mods posted requesting everyone stop talking about it, and any new posts would be deleted. Don't know how this one ended up but the dude never came back.

Yeah...it's an interesting medium to be sure....
True. That's why I love this medium. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

Look, there are "IB's" that are true trolls out there. But the problem is that there are often posters who try to brand someone they simply disagree with, or don't like the style of, an IB or troll. I've been in those cross hairs many times. That's far more of a problem than an actual troll. So when I am put in those cross hairs, I'll defend myself. Period. If that appears thin-skinned, so be it.

Chef accused me of a few things (and I'm speaking for me, not bl or anyone else). If he shows me where I personally attacked, or even truly denigrated him or anyone else...I'll apologize. If he simply shows me where I disagreed with someone or stylistically offended someone...I won't.

The best sign of a troll is in the "edited" notation section under a post. If the editor was a mod removing attacking language, and you see a lot of that, you might have a troll. Otherwise, if you still think that person is a troll despite not being continually moderated, you probably just have a grudge.

For me, the bottom line is being up-front and honest. That's why I like talking about this stuff in a thread like this as opposed to PMs. It's out in the open - and that keeps things honest. Caleb's post about my style is a good example of getting additional feedback from the valued people one has actually gotten drunk with. That wouldn't have happened in a PM conversation (I mean the feedback...not the tequila.) Anyway...

Even with my less than honey-soaked posting style, I've been banned (and falsely maligned thereafter when I had no chance at defense) on only one of the many, many sailing forums I've ever posted on (including CF). That's a pretty good record I think.

Well, that and the fact that SN has some of the most even-handed moderators I've ever seen on any forum. And that's not even brown-nosing. That's true. I would know.

So, in conclusion, judging by the fact that I'm tall, fit, handsome, have a nice mane of hair, have a hot wife, kids that adore me, sail like a monster, don't wear an orange dress, and don't drive a mini-van...I think we can all agree that I'm no IB.

PS....you bastards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-30-2012 at 10:58 AM.