SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3 Dead in Sailing Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 Dead in Sailing Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico.

The "mother of all crazy harbors" has to be NY Harbor. Every time I white knuckle it with its strong current, dead-heads and flotsam all over the place, ferries, taxis, recreational and commercial craft of all ilks darting every which way, it is an exercise in avoidance and having eyes in the back of one's head.

I bet investigators will be also looking for s.s. wire wrapped around someone's wheel(s). It seems very likely to me that if this boat was chopped into little pieces, it would be hard NOT to wrap rigging wire around shafts. Repair yards and commercial divers ought to be alerted because whoever ran these folks down will be wondering about what kind of evidence they left behind and will be going below to look.

A surfacing sub (which I've had my own "close encounters" with outside New London) would probably not have chopped the boat up as has been described.