SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live Aboard, how do you keep the kids from drowning?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006
jac

cleanup is on a distinguished road
Question Live Aboard, how do you keep the kids from drowning?

We (wife, self, a 2 year old and a 3 year old) are looking at moving aboard a 40 foot cat. Most time would be spent at the T-head, with occasional sailing(day trip, once a week), at least thats the plan now.

Question to others who have done it is how do you keep the children from drowning? I have read the articles about living aboard with kids, but I couldn't find anything about how its done day to day in a slip. I would certainly plan on tethering them underway, but what do you do on a day in day out basis in the slip? As you know, it is impossible to keep an eye directly on them 24/7 (my opinion).

I read one sentence stating that "the children grew up in life jackets". Makes sense, I just wonder how practical it is. Can it truly be done, is it worth it? We will be in an area where the water is cold, short time in before hypothermia.

The kids love the water and they are not afraid of it, we take them swimming and they enjoy it very much, but they are not really at the point yet of bobbing up too well once going under, especially the little one, but we're still working on it.

So, any advice/experience would help, thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook