SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anybody sail out of Alexandria VA?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Anybody sail out of Alexandria VA?

I grew up on motorboats in the Potomac in the '70s, but moved away in 1980. I rented one of the Flying Scots at Washington Sailing Marina a couple years ago, and hope to do so again sometime. I have a friend who has a Catalina 25 at the mouth of the Anacostia, and a standing invitation to go sailing with him. I plan to as soon as I can get time to drive 3 hours down there.

What I most remember about the Potomac is the large amount of submerged debris stuck on the bottom - wrecks, trees, stumps, pilings, etc. We never left the channel with our power boats, out of fear of destroying our prop. With a sailboat you need tacking space, so you have to leave the channel. A quick scan at the chart around the Woodrow Wilson bridge confirms that there is still a whole bunch of junk there. I'm curious to see how my friend avoids that stuff on his Catalina.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook