SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kitchen equipment.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Re: Kitchen equipment.

I live aboard, and I love cooking in my galley far more than I ever did on land, largely because of the way I equipped it when I moved aboard. I bought a Cuisinart nesting cookware set (I think the model is "stowaway"). These pots and pans are the best quality I have ever used, on land or sea. They have a clad bottom which distributes heat very well, which is important on my pitiful and uneven galley stove. They have removable handles, but they are very secure when attached (no discernable wobble). I got the all-stainless instead of non-stick partly out of concern for the chemicals in the teflon, but also because I wanted to use them in the oven -- I don't have any baking-specific pans except a tiny muffin pan. I haven't had any problems with sticking or cleanup (just clean it quickly after the meal), and I even make omlettes without a problem. My dishware is Corelle (I have a very deep hatred for melamine), which can stand the rough treatment and is also oven safe (great for baking rolls or reheating food). My knives are Henckles and show no signs of rust. My silverware is some stuff I got as hand-me-downs from my mom, which she got in college... I'm pretty sure it's stainless, and it shows no sign of rust. The thin, flexible HDPE cutting boards are a must IMHO, since you can stow a dozen of them in the space of one rigid cutting board, and if you wear it out (haven't yet), they're dirt cheap. Quality tongs are a must for the grill. I like bamboo spatulas and such for the stove (quality, environmentally friendly, and no risk of rust).