SailNet Community - View Single Post - engine-less
Thread: engine-less
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: engine-less

I had an engineless FolkBoat in Miami when I was in my 20's. I made a very long oar out of a 2 x 4 (horizontal on the power stroke) and some plywood. I used the starboard side winch as a tholepin and a loop of line hung over the winch to keep the oar from wandering. I rowed standing up and facing forward, but the Folkboat has a very deep cockpit. I would tie tiller slightly over to port and could vary the speed and hardness of the strokes to get the boat to turn one way or the other. It was not easy to start the boat moving, and was useless in tight quarters, but worked fine once the boat was moving forward. I don't recall rowing upwind in a breeze but then again, the folkboat was a pretty good light air boat and so if there was a breeze, I could sail her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook