SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marinas while in transit
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Marinas while in transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaler View Post
No, not on the ICW. Strictly within the Great Lakes.

I guess what I'll try to do is go day-by-day and use my Active Captain information to contact the likely stop that night.
get one of these for the Lake you will be on...
https://www.lakelandboating.com/lake...re.asp?categ=1

They are great cruising guides.
Not only will it give you the marina information you might require, it will also lead you to restaurants and points of interest.

Don't rely on Active Captain as you will need wi-fi to connect and connections are not always available.

Simply phone ahead when in cell range and they will most likely assign you a slip if you are arriving after hours.

Sometimes the most difficult part is finding the assigned slip in an unfamiliar harbor.

When getting your assignment, ask if it is a port side or starboard side tie, bow in or stern in depending on your preference. This will help when getting your lines set up in a strange location.

I also recommend getting in before the 10PM time I saw mentioned earlier. Arriving after sunset in a strange marina is not always a smooth operation.

What Lake are you on? And what is the starting point and destination? If your on Michigan, I can try and help more. If your on another of the Great Lakes, others here will be able to offer more advice.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook