SailNet Community - View Single Post - Turbo charged diesel
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Turbo charged diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
The basic answer is that with a turbo, you can have a much smaller engine which is advantageous for many reasons.
Therein lies my point. It's 100 horsepower and multiple times the physical size of other 100 horsepower engines, like my Harley engine. I'm not getting where the economy was realized. The thing is physically larger than my car's engine, which has more than twice that horsepower. I get the science, but I don't get the practical application. To get 100 horsepower out of a diesel should not take a large motor. That's just not a very powerful engine in the grand scheme of things, despite its relative power in the sailboat world.

Quote:
It is not uncommon to have a turbocharged engine have a horsepower rating of 3X compared to the same engine in a naturally aspirated version. If your engine is simply too big, that is a different problem and has nothing to do with the turbo, someone sized it wrong.
There is no way that my engine is only the physical size of a typical 30 or even 50 horse diesel. It's a monster. I didn't mean the horsepower was too much, only that I'm not seeing the physical size advantage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook