SailNet Community - View Single Post - Turbo charged diesel
View Single Post
  #4  
Old 05-01-2012
shogan50 shogan50 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 83
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
shogan50 is on a distinguished road
Re: Turbo charged diesel

In short reliability and fuel consumption. Try running your Harley at 80% WOT for 10K hours. It would be lucky to make it 500 hours. A properly maintained diesel will commonly go 10K hours, 20 times as long. Fuel burn is the other reason. Your Harley runs at perhaps 20% WOT while cruising and would exhibit about .6-.7 BSFC at that setting. At near WOT it would come down to about .45 but you can't maintain that power setting. Your diesel fuel burn is probably closer to .3-.35 BSFC and can maintain near WOT for thousands of hours. IOW at the same (high) power setting, the diesel is 20-30% more efficient and more like twice as efficient at comparative cruise settings. The turbo increases carnot efficiency and thus decreases BSFC in most cases.

BSFC is Brake Specific Fuel Consumption.
__________________
Islander 30 MKII "Sojourn"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook