SailNet Community - View Single Post - engine-less
Thread: engine-less
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012

wrevans is on a distinguished road
Re: engine-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
I spent ten years sailing two keelboats (20' & 26') without engines. It is challenging and somewhat restricting, but also rewarding. I didn't sail on busy weekends or holidays due to inlet traffic. I also used a long oar, but only in a calm. I found I could manage the inlet sailing with either wind or current opposing, but not both. On the south shore of Long Island summer breezes are pretty reliable. watch for sea breezes that start midmorning and end around sunset. Have good ground tackle. Keep a little food and water aboard, you might be becalmed overnight. Don't push right of way, be safe and considerate.
Lots of good advice in this post, although I would take any wind direction other than dead astern if I have to make way against a a current. Even tacking close hauled as our boat quickly overcomes most currents in light winds with the wind forward of the beam. My typical exit from our mooring is dead downwind against a strengthing flood current. Pretty dicey at times. Or channel is about 180 ft wide and is a run out and a tacking dual back in. The down side is the tourist cafe on the bank that ensures a captive audience should you mess up and go aground.

Such fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook