SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1972 O'Day Mariner 19 (or old Rhodes 19)
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
Re: 1972 O'Day Mariner 19 (or old Rhodes 19)

While I am waiting for my Morgan 24, I have finally checked out my centerboard at great risk of bodily harm and death using cinder blocks and planks along with my trailer jack to lift the boat high enough to - almost - get the board out, yep it is rusty, but still quite heavy and seems solid. I used a flashlight and a coathanger to snag the centerboard cable and found it was still attached - swagged - securely to the aft of the board. I decided to just reinstall the board for now and perhaps next year take it to the shipyard to get the boat on a lift to remove the board safely. I used clear seal then placed the rubber and metal washers and tightened the centerboard pin up and smeared some clear seal all around the nut and the washers. I believe I will have a better seal now. I also placed a new stainless pin on the forward part of the board which was there originally to keep the board from rising too high in the trunk. Purchased some 4.80-12 tires 39.00 each and will change the old rotted tires on the wheels. I think I may make or re-skin the old worn hatch boards. with that after having my truck repaired I will be able to go sailing again. The motor needs a tune up. Did spend a few hours scrubbing the boat down, sits under oak trees so it does not take long for leaves to acumulate and block the drain holes and get the boat filthy again. She needs to be in the water for a while, I do have a dock so soon.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 05-08-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook