SailNet Community - View Single Post - engine-less
Thread: engine-less
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: engine-less

ICW bridges are an issue for me down here in ICW-ville (SW FLA) but more and more, new high and wide fixed bridges are replacing the low narrow bascule ones...sailing motorless is something I want to practice more...afterall alot of us started this way on small sailboats...now that we have bigger boats it certainly is harder but still very do-able if you put in the time and slowly learn your engineless boat and helps if you already know the areas you sail pretty well...and have tide tables and lunch-hooks (and bigger) ready to throw down...and bring food and water as someone mentioned....getting stuck in middle of nowhere for a day is not for everybody....if you go motorless it might be a good idea to get BoatUS membership...at least for a year...I really should get one finally...My C-40 has a 25 hp Universal diesel I am trying to get running soon. I sold the windlass ...it didnt want to be on the boat anyways... but I doubt I could kedge off being "bitch-stuck" single-handed in a 18,200 lb boat with a hand windlass anyways...so just wait for the tides...time is perhaps our most precious asset ...and having the time/possible lost time... to pilot a sailboat without engines is a luxury really...today...in the past, well a necessity of course.....

Last edited by souljour2000; 05-02-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook