SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wiring & Installing A Battery Monitor
View Single Post
post #43 of Old 05-02-2012
Re: Wiring & Installing A Battery Monitor

Really great information here. I am installing a Blue Sea Systems monitor (VSM 422 Vessel Systems Monitor) over the next 2 weekends along with an upgraded battery bank, high output alternator, etc.

I have a 1987 Catalina 34 that was built with #4 wire for all high load positive and negative wire. Due to very helpful information at the Catalina 34 Organization website (thanks Stu, Jim, and others), I am familiar with the limitations of this stock wiring size and distances, and I am addressing some of this with an upgrade to various components. My Blue Sea monitor looks to be a similar setup, and I now understand how to configure the shunt with negative loads downstream.

My question is what to do if also installing an inverter that calls for 2/0 wire to support high DC loads. Assuming the negative needs to be a similar size, will I also need to use this size negative wire from the battery to the shunt and from the shunt to the negative load bus bar? According to the wire sizing chart I referenced, #4 wire can only support up to 100 amps over a short distance and the negative should not be more than 1 size smaller than the positive.

Thanks. I think this is one of the last pieces of the puzzle to complete my wiring plan.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome