SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012

MarkusM is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard

Just had a Look at the catalina. Overall she seems to be in Good shape. There are a couple of things I would like to get some advice on.

1. Seems like the previous owner of the current seller has added backing plates to the rigging. One of those plates (wood) seemed to be really compressed and a bit damp. I will post a picture in a couple of hours. To change the backing plates, I assume the mast does not need to come down? There is only one backing plate that looks like the one in the picture all the other look great.

2. The anchor chain locker (hole in the deck) if I felt with my fingers I could feel some moist wood. The area around the locker seemed solid. No soft spots. What should be done to fix that? Can there be something done?

3. The through hills are brass and have backing plates but definitely have some oxidation on them. Should the be replaced? Picture will follow.

4. Motor (outboard motor) does not pump water anymore after winter storage. Impeller? The motor is from the mid 90's. 4 stroke.

Any thoughts? What should a boat like this go for?

Thanks everybody you guys rock. I learned so much already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0258.jpg (28.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0263.jpg (37.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0264.jpg (56.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by MarkusM; 05-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook