SailNet Community - View Single Post - ADVICE NEEDED: Adding weight to keel FOLKBOAT
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006
Booga Booga Member

yohosail is on a distinguished road
ADVICE NEEDED: Adding weight to keel FOLKBOAT

Hi all,
wondering if I can brainstorm the boatbuilding / shipwright community.

I have: 1982 Fiberglass FOLKBOAT 26foot sloop, fractional rig, FULL KEEL
5800lbs displacement. 2900lbs ballast.
Problem: boat is little tippy. Needs weight down low - ie in keel

Have redone everything on her, stipped out interior, redone the all electrics from scratch, redone rigging, redone all brightwork, every single fitting resealed and every thru hull redone. These little boats have proven themselves offshore. I love this little boat, she really grows on you. Have taken a few good spankings in her already, only proves to me It is worth trying to fix this problem in my opinion, the question is what is the best way?

This summer, by adding 350lbs of lead shot in 5lb bags distributed low down in bilge lockers and hull lockers, I have steadied the boat enourmously. She is no longer tippy when climbing aboard. She sails better to windward, etc etc. I realize that in adding yellow cedar and mahogany to the cabin roof, I have made her just a little too top heavy. in the cabin.

Any ideas you could provide as to how to add weight to the keel permanently, so I can remove the temporary shot bags would be appreciated.

Idea#1: bolt on 350 lbs of shaped lead to near bottom of full keel. Something in lines of a torpedoe shape. Simple, easy, but how does this affect water dynamics and sail performance?

Idea#2: take the bottom of the keel apart, strip the fiberglass back and remove concrete (i have not sampled the fiberglass with a core at the base and assume it is a mix of steel and concrete or something like that), weigh it and replace with 350lbs extra lead. Seal her back up. Very time consuming I assume, big job, not sure if this is doable in a few weeks say.

Thanks in advance for any input
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook