SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Just getting started?? Intro.

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Hello.
First time poster, first time sailor, I guess you could say this is my first time whatever,
I am sure this is not the first time for this type of post and it won’t be the last, so here goes.
This web sight is great! More info than I can read or remember.
The wife and I would like to get into sailing. Weekend cruising nothing more at this time. I am located in North central Florida about an hour from the East Coast.
I am getting to that 50 year old stage and she is not far behind, We both work. I work a rotating 12 hour maintenance schedule and she a 9 to 5 M-F office professional.
I am looking for a first boat (trainer/keeper) I am as green as they get but trainable. I have looked at the, I sell boats.com, used boats.com, Sailboat trader and of course this site, and then some for a while now. I have only laid hands an feet on a few boats to date.
Can you say confused?
I have located a Cape Dory 25, 1977 full keel w/outboard. Boat seems to be in good shape for a 30 year old boat. It can be left where it is if I buy the boat, Slip fee is reasonable located on the St Johns river. The owner is willing to give a few lessons to help get me started.
My question is.
Any info on The cape Dory good or bad would be helpful, and does anybody know a surveyor in the Jacksonville area. And is 25’ too big to learn on?

Sorry for the long first post, and not quite sure where to post, New, buy, or general.

Thank you
DBL-B

See less See more
#2 ·
The Cape Dory boats are generally excellent boats all around. I would go to the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners' Association website and contact them. They can probably recommend a surveyor that is familiar with the specifics of Cape Dory boats as well as put you in touch with other Cape Dory owners. I'm friends with one of the CDSOA officers, and they're great people.

#4 ·
Glad to help. I've sailed on a few, including a Cape Dory 25. Lovely boats, and fun to sail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.