SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The Longest Boat Sale In History

3K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  Ajax_MD 
#1 ·
At least it seemed that way.

For the last couple of months I have been hinting that a new boat might be in the offing.

We put an offer in then we had to wait for the survey and its results.

Well a couple of days ago I handed over the cheques (one to the PO, one as a holdback to the broker).

The boat is ours.

This weekend we start setting her up, waxing, anti-fouling, name-changing. Our goal is to be launched before the May two-four weekend (a Canadian holiday to celebrate a full case of beer).

Yesterday I ordered the vinyl name decals with logo. We will have to take measurements for our boarder repelling gear, Sea Whiz mounts, ZPS (Zombie Protection System), Schettino Early Warning System, coffee roaster/grinder/brewer, kennels and tinned haggis storage.

The boat we bought is a 1989 Hunter 30'. She's in very good shape.

I know that there are a few here who disparage the Hunters, but, after careful consideration and lots of looking, we feel it is the boat most likely to keep us happy for the next few years.

We went with a 30 for a couple of reasons: I don't have to change slips, so from a cost/convenience/familiarity etc perspective: that's a bonus. (I have a slip that faces into the prevailing winds. If I up-sized I probably wouldn't get another one at my marina.)

I spend a lot of time on the boat alone so I don't need anything bigger. When I'm not alone I usually have only one other person so a 30 is the right size.

The Hunter 30 has a huge aft cabin. Say no more!

The walk-through transom and swim platform will make diving/kayaking/swimming etc. of the boat a lot easier.

So, all-in-all for the type of sailing we do, and in the waters we do it (Great Lakes) the Hunter seems to fit the bill.

I am a bit apprehensive about learning the new systems. My old boat (the only boat I've really sailed) was tiller-steered. I'll have to learn the wheel - although by most accounts it's easier.

The boat is heavier and beamier so I'll have to get used to a different maneuverability.

On Northern Lights everything could be hand-bombed - we used the winches to harden the sheets but never had to grind them. The larger sail on the Hunter will make that impossible, so we'll have to learn to coordinate our movements when adjusting sails, tacking etc.

The Hunter has a lot more opportunity for sail trim adjustment. I am really looking forward to learning about fine-tuning the sail with twist adjustment, traveler adjustment etc.

Not to mention the diesel which is all new to me!

Anyhow, we are both really excited bout our new boat and can't wait for the adventure to begin.

See less See more
#5 ·
Congrats, FW... Arf... the "May-two-for" (actually the 21st this year) is a May Monday statuatory holiday that, while celebrating beer is the practice of most, is actually the anniversary of Queen Victoria's birth. Kinda like your Presidents' Days, but we only get the one per year.

But rumour has it that the olde Queen Vicky enjoyed her brew.....;)

#15 ·
Thanks all for the good wishes.

Here are some pics from the listing. They are a couple of years old, but the boat has held up really well.

I'll post some new pics once she's in the water.

#17 ·
Splash down!

Hate to disappoint but probably won't have much time to devote to the zombie thread until October-ish.

Sea trial tomorrow then it's finally all official.

#19 ·
Re: Splash down!

Hate to disappoint but probably won't have much time to devote to the zombie thread until October-ish.
Too busy transferring the ZAG (Zombie Apocalypse Gear) to the new boat? Or I bet Hunter has some new systems that are stored in that huge aft cabin for zombie repelling and elimination. Or maybe that is more post-apocalypse repopulation apparatus! :p

Nice boat for sure! I wouldn't mind waiting out the end of the earth on such a vessel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.