SailNet Community - View Single Post - Meat & Potato Man
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012

meuritt is on a distinguished road
Re: Meat & Potato Man

This could be me, but no, it's not.

I do better w/o lots of wheat in the diet, my s/o is gluten intolerant and I've adapted to less wheat and discovered all sorts of health improvements. But you didn't identify that as a problem.

I had an aversion to commercial canned meats. I was pretty surprised to find out they aren't inedible. I've used the canned corned beef in some pretty strange things, spaghetti for one, and found it good. I prefer it for breakfast though. Canned ham wasn't too big a hurdle, but most everything else I was suspicious of, and so far, nothing I've experimented in turned out bad. Thanks fpo the Blue Ball link, I will be ordering the book.

However the problem with the canned food is the waste generated. In port, the cans are used for small parts or epoxy mixing. At sea, I am thinking too many cans, even crushed, will take up too much space. The glass jars can be reused for bulk storage and offer protection for the beans and rice from insects etc. until they break.

I still haven't completely resolved the issue of a cruising diet, but I am leaning strongly toward more beans and rice, and learning how to fish.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook