SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace Diesel Fuel Regularly
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Replace Diesel Fuel Regularly - What about a fuel purification system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albe1066 View Post
Hi,

We have a dual racor system on our sailboat but I am adding this device to provide fuel purification. They sell a system for fuel polishing. I plan to install the device before my racor system.

Fuel Purifiers, Fuel Purification, Filtration Systems for Engines: RCI Technologies: San Dimas, CA

We were on a friends boat returning from the Bahamas, topped off the tanks and ran into fuel problems shortly after. We had a dual racor system on the boat, but ran out of filters due to dirty fuel. We lost our engine when we ran out of filters. I am told filters save your engine by starving it when they clog with sediment and purification systems are designed to to keep the engine running.

With the RCI device, no filters to replace. Only maintenance is to drain water and sediment. It has a sensor to let you know when it needs to be drained.

Has anyone used a fuel purification device?

It's just a low energy hydrocyclone. Yes, I have used very similar devices in industry for years, and they only remove gross contamination; they have their uses on large systems, but not so much for rec boaters. Not in the same leage as a good marine filter separator, though it could keep a huge slug of water out if placed in front of it. In reality, if your tank is well maintaned, it will do nothing, ever. Don't expect it to do anything with fine water or solids.

They also sell fuel magnets. What does that suggest? Wanna buy a bridge?

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook