SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace Diesel Fuel Regularly
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Replace Diesel Fuel Regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That is one of the most egregious examples of poor design and construction by boatbuilders.

It's a disaster waiting to happen.

All of those screens should be removed.

What a shame that builders kept doing it. Think about it: inaccessible, usually unknown to skippers, a completely stupid move even before any questions about fuel stability ever surfaced.

Any submariner coulda told 'em: DON'T do it!

Dumb.

Wanna know how I really feel about it?
Agree that in tank fuel strainer is a crazy idea. Other problem with the strainer is that it is the same size as the fuel suction tube in the tank. Most suction tubes seem to be about 1/2 inch diameter. The tank manufacturer installs a fine screen on the end of this tube which means you have a wopping 0.2 square inches of screen surface area- does not take much dirt/sediment to clog that.

I have left mine on for now only because I can look into my 20 galloon tank and see what is in there and I can also see the screen on the suction tube. Also, nut quite sure how to get the screen off. Tank is Moeller. If I try to pull the suction tube out, it stops at the screen. I could try just pulling- maybe the screen would fall off, but did not want to damage the fitting by trying this. Tank opening is too small to try to remove from inside.

At least with car fuel tanks they use a much bigger screen area than just the end of the suction tube.

Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook