SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electrical Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012

efiste is on a distinguished road
Electrical Upgrades

Thanks to the many wonderful posts on this site and others, I think I am ready to tackle many much needed electrical upgrades on my 1987 Catalina 34. These include upgrading to 4 6V T105s, a high output externally regulated alternator, dedicated starting battery with echo charger, 1800W charger/inverter, and a battery monitor. I have procured the main components and am now zeroing in on wire, connectors, and fuses. I will be completing these upgrades in phases but in order to ensure I have the overall right approach, I have created a wiring diagram of the planned upgrades.

I have based much of my plans on the previously posted electrical upgrade details by others. I am indebted to their generosity in sharing their information, approach, diagrams, and pictures! Part of my plan is the inclusion of a charger/inverter which (as I have read many posts about) requires very large 2/0 wire over a short distance AND a desire to keep the switch disconnects as simple as possible. I have read many discussions about different ways to organize switches. I would like the primary "source" power (DC from batteries or AC from shore power) to be wired to switches on the existing AC/DC panels. I am going to replace my DC battery selector with a new Blue Sea e-series switch with has 3 positions for Off, On, and Combine (Emergency). Specifically, I want to wire all DC loads including the inverter and starting battery echo charger on this same switch. I would rather not have parallel or sub switches even though I do forgo some flexibility. I would also like to use some pre-purchased 1/0 wire and connectors for the battery interconnects but am not sure if this would be recommended with the 2/0 wire required for the inverter as a later part of the upgrades.

I have attached the document I created of my schematic. Please ignore some of my naivety in the diagram symbols. I think I pretty much used (or labeled) things correctly, but I am sure any electrical engineers would notice a few that are not correct ;-). Any help, guidance, or other thoughts would be appreciated. I think I understand the general concepts, but the devil is in the details. It will be frustrating enough to pull the 2/0 and 1/0 wire. I do not want to also set my boat on fire because of a unintentional oversight in the design.

Thanks,
Eric
1987 Catalina 34
s/v Coughlin's Law
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1987 Cataline 3_Electrical Upgrades_052012_small.jpg (52.5 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook