SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on buying a boat that need work
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: advice on buying a boat that need work

buying a boat like this is an entirely irresponsible stupid decision rife with peril with little chance of success.
If i was 22, i'd be all over this wreck.
Hell, if i was closer i would be all over this wreck now.
I'd haggle the price down to 4 bills just for propriety's sake, point and click my way through purchasing a full complement of Don Casey's books on Amazon, pump out the water while I wait for the books to show up, and start poking and prodding the dark and murky parts and making my punch list.
Chances are it is not as good as you think it is, which is twice as good as it has any right to be, so it will still be three times as much work and four times as much money as you ever dreamed it would cost...
but it sure beats the hell out of living in an apartment, and it won't depreciate any faster than the anonymous toyota corolla you will be driving ten years from now on your way to your job in the cube farm waiting out the next 30 years until retirement and calculating your 401(k) daily while working on excuses to exlain what the hell went wrong with your life, which is exactly what will happen if you start walking away from hopeless causes and unrequited fantasy at 22.
I'm not saying these other guys are wrong, but who the hell wants to tell their grandkids stories that start, "Y'know, I almost bought a big old wreck of a boat for $500 one time,'
"Wow! What happened then, grampa?"
"I chickened out and played it safe."
"Oh. I'm gonna go talk to my other grampa now- he's gonna show me how to open a beer bottle with my teeth!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook