SailNet Community - View Single Post - swing keel problem
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012

JUST MESSIN WITH IT is on a distinguished road
Re: swing keel problem

Had a complete disaster today. Much the same as you had.
I have been renovating the interior of my boat , and itching to get it in the water. Finally today i was ready for launch...or so i thought.

What i didnt realise was the keel cable had snapped the last time i had the boat in water. When we went to float it off it got stuck ... im thinking the water must be shallow as we have not had much rain. Never occurred to me the keel might have dropped down and got stuck between the trailer axles. So we couldnt go backwards and the boat had shifted sideways a bit. Finally decided to drag it back out again.. As my buddy pulled up the ramp the whole boat sudden learched sideways then dropped down again. Before i could shout stop we were right out of the water. The keel had folded over and was partially snapped in half. The whole boat was resting on the keel that was sticking right out by the tires.... Couldnt float the boat and couldnt drive it home as it was tilted over. Had to run to local walmart and buy trolly jacks and a 6 ton bottle jack. Over to home depot and buy timber and a dremel multi saw. Jacked the boat up a little and cut chunks of the keel off. Eventually managed to get enough of it cut off to let the boat sit back down on the rollers. The remaining part i was able to pck back into the keel box. Managed to pull the keel pin easily and push the remainder of the keel backwards to drop it out behind the back axle.

So now i have no keel . just chunks of fiberglass..... not sure im even going to bother replacing the keel right away... The water level in out lake chain is pretty low , its really hard getting in and out of the water.. so im gonna leave it moored up for now.... at least i can use it every weekend.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook