SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Hole - How to Choose
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane Hole - How to Choose

There is NO perfect location that provides complete protection from a major hurricane. Even when the boat is stored on the hard, rising flood-waters often inundate storage areas, and in some instances the boats float off the stands. I saw that happen once in a hurricane hole in southeast Florida.

Last year, when a hurricane hit the area I decided to double up the lines, lengthen them so the boat would be able to rise with flood-waters to 10 feet, and hope for the best. The adjacent condos protected the boat from the 85 MPH winds, but when the wind shifted to the opposite direction the lanyard holding my wind-generator blades in place sheared. The wind generator sounded like a jet engine, then one of the blades shattered, throwing the whole thing off balance, vibrating so hard the prop hub shattered like glass, then it just locked up. Repair costs were ridiculous and I gave it away.

Flood waters arrived two days later, the result of heavy rains in upstate Pennsylvania and New York. The river quickly rose about 8 feet, parts of houses and massive trees floated downriver in the sea of raging mud. When the water receded, there was 10-inches of mud covering the piers and sidewalks, the marina swimming pool and adjacent pool house were nearly destroyed and most of the slips are now about a foot or two shallower than they were prior to the storm.

This photo was shot as the water was rising. The electric box next to my boat was underwater three house after the photo was taken. Somewhere to the left, there is a swimming pool beneath the muddy water.

Several years ago, most of the boats were pulled to avoid hurricane Camile. The water rose to the point where the parking lot for the boats was under 4-feet of water. Fortunately, none floated from their jack stands, but some came close to lifting off and floating away.

Good Luck,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook