SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012

Lopezian is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

MS--

I appreciate your sympathy as much as your expertise, but the towel has been irretrievably tossed.

On the topsides of the boat I didn't use the 9227C at all. What I did I did by hand. When the Presta Gelcoat yielded essentially nothing, I recalled reading somewhere that old wax will impede the compounding, so I took a healthy Scotchbrite pad and a strong solution of dishwashing detergent and scrubbed like hell for a while. Then I tried the Presta again. Not much if any improvement. So it's back to studying Maine Sail's very knowledgeable instructions--particularly about the possible need to wet sand. OK. Start with 600. Did that, waiting for SOME gloss to show up. A very little bit did--sort of a sheen, not a shine. Try the Presta again. Not much help. Another swipe of wet sanding. Etc.

I was gaining ground but very slowly, so concluded I'd have to back off to a 400 grit. Then the 600, then 800, then 1000, and finally back to Presta products.

Whoa, Old Timer, you're getting close to a "project boat" situation here.

If I hire a pro to detail my boat, he'll use a power wet-sander, very likely, and your advice about an amateur trying that is sound: don't do it.

So I will follow that sage suggestion and look up a detailer indeed.

But thanks again for a thorough and savvy (and appealing!) discussion of gelcoat maintenance. Wish I'd run across that long ago.

But I've found Sailnet and its congenial, savvy sailors. I'll stick around here.

Cheers,

Lopezian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook