View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Cuba in my sights

Some further remarks in response to earlier comments in this thread -
Quote:
When you travel to and spend money in Cuba, you are helping fund a government that has attempted to install missiles aimed at your family. By all indications, if we hadn't muscled them out, they would do it again.
Uh....I believe that was about, oh, 50 years ago and they needed the USSR, which no longer exists, to do this. Isn't it time to give up the past?
Quote:
Oh, and to your question about seeing the interior of the island -- could you do it? Maybe. You'd probably need to get Cuban government permission to do so, and would be under close supervision and "minded" very carefully. What could happen if you just went on your own without Cuban government permission? Detention, expulsion, and probable loss of your vessel to the Cuban government. Again, a fairly high risk endeavor.
Yes, you can tour the island. You rent a car, or take your bike on a bus, staying at casa particularas - sort of like our bed and breakfasts. There is no problem, there is NO supervision of any sort. There is no detention, expulsion or loss of your vessel to the Cubans for traveling through the interior. Risk level is zero. Zero. Let me repeat that - zero.
That post is a prime example of someone who has NO idea what he's talking about, has never been there, but has to sound off and waste our time in reading his remarks - all while contributing to the furtherance of myths and hyperbole that makes up the discussions of many Americans about Cuba.
Rule #1 - if you don't know what you're talking about - try listening to those who do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook