SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lifeline Maintenance
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Lifeline Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
I just finished installing new vinyl-coated lifelines on my boat and I'm wondering which product might be best to keep them white and new looking. I thought maybe Collinite # 845 because it has a UV protectant in it, but I'm really not sure. I just know that I don't want to hand-swage any more terminals for a while, so I want to keep them nice. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike
First of all, remove them and put a strip of heat shrink tubing over the joint or seam between the end fittings and the vinyl covering - I overlap each part by about an inch. This will prevent water from getting into the wire core and make the lines last a lot longer.

For maintaining them, I use Armor All - it's a vinyl protectant designed for sun exposure (dashboards etc.). There are other products like it as well - you can find them in the auto wax/cleaner section of hardware stores. I wouldn't use wax on vinyl.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook