SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many young people (say 35 or under)out there
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Re: How many young people (say 35 or under)out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by eobpt View Post
I am 37 and my wife is 34 and we have two small kids. We own a S2 9.2a and sail up on lake Erie. I found it interesting last year when one of the club members asked me "What boat do your parents own?" They were shocked when I said we are full member and that 30 footer over there is ours. I would say we are easily 10-15 years younger than the next youngest member with a sailboat.

It starts to get a little depressing being 20 years younger than the youngest people at my marina (I think they tend to run a little older in Florida to begin with which doesn't help). I've found that yacht clubs and associations treat me as a little micro-celebrity, and are eager to welcome me and my wife to their events (the never ending quest for young blood maybe?).

My friends view sailing as a passing curiosity, interested in sailing in the same way you might be interested to know how silly putty picks stuff up. Any given friend is typically good for maybe one day every fiscal quarter spent doing this (in slow-motion no less) before tiring of boats and the water:

In their defense, this is a sickness. How else can I justify obsessing so much over a lifestyle?

I'm a sailor, I sail!

Last edited by creedence623; 05-07-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook