SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard friendly marinas?- Chessapeake
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Liveaboard friendly marinas?- Chessapeake

In the last several months, I have made a few phone calls to marinas to discuss living aboard. Let me tell you the biggest thing that has helped me win them over:

Marinas and yacht clubs are very image conscious. Most of them are trying to attact boat owners and families, and to do this, they are trying to project a clean, well-maintained image with lots of beautiful boats parked in slips.

The sloppy liveaboard who uses his boat as a low-rent, tax evading dock-condo, with tools, pet feces and potted plants covering the deck does not lend itself to this image.

So when I call and ask if they allow liveaboards, the woman on the phone invariable gives a very cautious "Yyyess...". The first thing I tell her is that I am keenly aware of how they build their business, that my boat is in fine shape, and attractive to look at. I also state that I am an avid sailor, and absolutely will be taking my boat out frequently, and that I do not have pets, and will not be leaving my crap scattered all over the dock.

You can always hear the sigh of relief at the other end, and a few of these marinas have straight out told me "That is such a relief to hear, and you'd be very welcome here".
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook