SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cuba in my sights
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Cuba in my sights

My opinions about how non-diplomatic folks are treated are based on discussions I had with them at various gatherings (primarily informal "happy hours" at the Canadian embassy and parties at the Marine House.)

The US mission (USINT) is located at the intersection of the Malecon, calle L and Calzada (immediately west of the Marti statue, and a few hundred meters west of the Hotel Nacional.) It's pretty hard to miss. Although it's a pretty ugly building (austere and utilitarian,) it ain't nearly as ugly as the Russian Embassy.

The case I cited was of a US guy trying to live out Buffett's "Havana Daydreaming," leaving an ex-wife and unpaid child support in the States. I related it in another thread. Long story short, he wound up getting deported and was forced to leave his boat behind. We did what we could to keep it from sinking at the dock, but when I left for good some three months later it was still there.

Don't get me wrong, in my heart of hearts I don't think the Cuban government has any interest in or desire to start confiscating pleasure boats. They really have little use for them, and as we all know boats are a resource draining asset. It's not like they are going to start selling them to the locals, right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook