SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yet another Louisianan...
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012
I'm new.

Globalksp is on a distinguished road
Re: Yet another Louisianan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmcnabb View Post
Hi there. I'm not far from the New Orleans area...but I am new to sailing and I have not a clue on how to get started. Any advice?
Hey Ecmcnabb,

As I'm new to sailing in New Orleans myself, I don't have much info to offer aside from my plans to go about it. There seem to be a few folks on Sailnet that are in the New Orleans area so we're both on a good start. The key is getting on a boat, no?

I have a friend who used to bartend at one of the yacht clubs in New Orleans. When I got back into sailing I gave him a ring, asked him if he knew of anyone with a boat. He came back with a name and number of a friend whose family races. One call later, I'm on board. I was surprised to find out that I knew 2 other people that night at the races. It's a small town. Put the word out. The people whom I've run into that sail have been great, friendly, accommodating people who enjoy sharing the passion with people.

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm also learning on my own via old coast guard manuals, Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care, (great site), and all I can glean about the various makes and models of boats out there.

If all else fails, head to the docks and introduce yourself.

Have you sailed before?

Last edited by Globalksp; 05-07-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typos!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook