SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cuba in my sights
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Cuba in my sights

Minnewaska, when you reference 50 year old political events as a reason to avoid traveling to Cuba, it's really really hard not to make certain assumptions about what you're thinking...also, I do believe I've noted in several posts that I am not suggesting Americans go, but if they choose to, then here are some ways to do so. Some legal, some not so...I'm not being a moralist here, just pragmatic.
fwiw, my opinion on the embargo is that it is a failure, and should be dropped. Dispensing with any argument as to why it has been a failure in the past:
the current situation is that Cuba has lots of tourists from every other nation. vis a vis tourism, the embargo is pointless.
Insofar as not permitting US trade with Cuba, again, they can buy whatever they want from any other country in the world. The embargo is again pointless. Cuba's major problem is they don't have the money to buy goods, or medicines, or whatever, from the US. They're pretty much broke.
That being said, Cuba currently buys most of its food from America. So the embargo is nuanced.
It's a handy human rights tool for those who wish to rail about Cuba's human rights' issues - but when the US maintains diplomatic relations with China, it's a tad hypocritical wouldn't you say?
Should anyone break the law? No, I think not, although I'll accept that there are times when that indeed should happen. But if they're going to go to Cuba regardless of the embargo, or want to understand the parameters involved in the decision, I can certainly provide information in those areas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook