SailNet Community - View Single Post - AIS wiring cable
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
AIS wiring cable

So I just ordered a Standard Horizon GX 2150 in order to add AIS receiving capabilities to my boat. In anticipation of installing the radio next week I have a couple of questions that I thought I would throw out there.

1) My Raymarine A50D chartplotter is mounted at the helm and my current Standard Horizon radio is mounted below with a RAM at the helm. I will be maintaining these two locations so will need to run the wires from the chart plotter to the radio. While I am at it it makes sense to run all 8 wires from the plotter down to the radio location in case I add a device later and use the second nmea 0183 port on the plotter. So, I am looking for the best way to buy a cable with 8 individual wires inside. These things are small, maybe 18-22 gauge and I assume I want fully tinned?

Any thoughts? Seems like I should be able to order an 18/8 or 22/8 by the foot from somewhere I just don't know where.

2) Am I assuming correct that the data connections are simply fully tinned, unshielded wire and not something unique?

Thanks for the thoughts in advance.

Silvio
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook