SailNet Community - View Single Post - Introduction.
Thread: Introduction.
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Introduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyberman View Post
Hello everyone, I am brand new to this site. Have sailed for quite afew years.
Now, I am looking for my own sail-boat.
Can someone give me their hoonest opinion of a 11 metre S2 sail-boat. I found one with a damaged engine and was thinking of either repairing or replacing it. The present engine is a VW Pathfinder (diesel) The asking is $18K. My thoughts are that for twice the price I could buy one that already runs.
Thanks
Sorry, missed this one last week.

The S2 11.0 is a pretty good boat. Aft cockpit or center? I think I'd prefer the aft cockpit in that size.

Now about the engine. What, specifically is the 'damage'? Unlike many I'm rather partial to these powerplants, having owned a couple over the last 20 years. Inexpensive parts, LOTS of power, reliable track record - few cars have the record of the Rabbit diesel.

Support is still available from Pathfinder in Montreal.. and you could rebuild the entire engine for the price of an injector pump from someone like Volvo...

However buying a 'fixer upper' as a first boat may not be the best move - you're quite right that you could be sailing tomorrow with a different boat that doesn't need major work, and a serious engine problem qualifies unless you're very comfortable doing that kind of work.

Buyers market these days so maybe keep looking but even so......

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook