SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

I want to clarify two things since I'm worried these points might have gotten lost in typed form on the internet.
:
Firstly, the surveyor did a great job elsewhere.
The turn around time was a big issue, and not mentioning the value of the engine/sail and their ages being unlikely to be true was not great. They're covered by the caveats in the survey, but I am still a bit annoyed by it.
It wouldn't stop me recommending him to someone with an older boat, who had plenty of lead time for a sale, and was aware that they should have additional inspections for sails/engine if there was any doubt about those before buying, as they are exempt from the survey. His inspections of the deck, hull etc were thorough and comprehensive, I found him courteous, professional and his advice elsewhere was valuable.
I won't be asking him for my money back, but I will be advising him of the motor age, and associated issues, a simple google from my phone proved that engine couldn't have been built in 2010(hindsight...)

The seller is a decent guy, I am cross with him for misleading me, but I don't think he did it on purpose. He sounded quite distressed when I told him what I'd discovered, his advertising was false, and lead me to a decision I wouldn't have made but I don't feel he did it with intent. I do not have any issue with him as a person. I'd still sail with him, or have a beer with him.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook