Join Date: Dec 2011
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Re: 1972 O'Day Mariner 19 (or old Rhodes 19)
I know very little about electricity but as lighting is extremely basic I traced the bow, stern, and mast lines stripped the leads and used alligator clips to connect the battery to each line after replacing the burned out bow and stern light I was thrilled to see just how easy it is to fix my running lights. I thought I had a short somewhere in the mast line as I burned my finger after disconnecting the anchor light on the mast which lit up! Prior to attempting to take all the bolts out of the mast to remove the wire I tried once more - the leads did not heat up! May have been moisture under the electrical tape, after reconnecting and taping everything I slathered clear seal over the electrical tape. I am repainting the electrical box which was rusted, will then reinstall the vintage 70's toggle switches and will be coast guard compliant. I had to turn the plastic lenses around because over the years the exposed part of the lenses were very brittle and cracked. I used clear epoxy to strengthen and hold them together but the bad side of the lenses are now under the chrome covers which shine like new. New lights like these run about $60 ea for what are probably $20 fixtures!!! New bulbs were under $4.00, and the Expoxy, electrical tape, and clear seal were alot cheaper! Should be good for another year or two. I purchased 1/2" oak skinned plywood and an aluminum vent with a screen behind it and will replace the very worn companionway boards plan to use tongue oil and hope that will help to protect the wood, seal the edges perhaps with a little varnish, would prefer a more natural finish kind of liked oiled teak.